Are you keen on cats? Do you want to gain more knowledge and experience to improve your cat skills?
Do you want to further your career whether it is in general practice or specialist feline practice?
Do you like the challenge of a busy environment with complex cases and dedicated owners?
Choosing to undertake an internship is an important step in many veterinary careers. The opportunity to learn best practice and be exposed to a wide range of clinical approaches can be immensely beneficial for both recent graduates and more experienced veterinarians.
Our mission is to support our people to deliver the best outcomes for cats, their families and referring practices. Our internship consists of a 12 month program in feline internal medicine and surgery.
Veterinary Specialist Services (VSS) is an established Small Animal referral practice in South East Queensland with hospitals at Carrara, Jindalee, and Underwood. Cat Specialist Services works in partnership with VSS Underwood to provide specialist veterinary care just for cats. We are a team of two feline Specialists, a resident in feline medicine and dedicated cat nurses who are the best in their field. We strive to create an environment where people that love cats can do their best work.
Our team is passionate about delivering the best patient care and support each other to do it. We work together with specialists across a diverse skill set and offer just about all specialities, diagnostic modalities, and therapies. We have residency training programs for vets and in house training programs for nurses. Many of our interns have progressed to become registered Specialists. We are involved in the industry with wide participation in professional groups, universities and continuing education courses.
Excitingly, we are also building a large, feline only referral hospital immediately adjacent to the VSS Underwood hospital with incredible, cat friendly facilities including a dedicated endoscopy, radiography, ultrasound, oncology and radioactive iodine suites, all within easy access of all the Specialist team that VSS is reknowned for.
What we are looking for
- Sorry (not sorry), you will need to be cat crazy to apply.
- A person who will be a genuine team player in our feline team.
- A person who wants to develop themselves and their clinical skills and can do so knowing experienced team members are available.
- A person who understands that when a cat needs us, we will do our utmost to be there and give it the care it needs.
Why we hope you’ll want to join us.
- We practice genuine multidisciplinary feline medicine at the Specialist level. We are in a truly unique position to over the highest level of care for cats. We offer most treatments, but consider everything through the lens of our training programs and experience.
- VSS has a long history of training people with our interns enjoying success in general practice, academic practice, achieving specialist registration or practice ownership.
- Cat Specialist Services is an evolving company with a focus on people, their careers and their development. We want the right people along for the journey.
- We listen and try to respond to our people’s needs. We don’t always get it right, but we will keep trying. We are owned and run by veterinarians who work on the floor.
Why you might not want to join us.
- Our case load is high, unpredictable and complex. This brings its stressors as our clients are very devoted. They are just about always very grateful for the work we do, but they are with us to get the care they need and really want to see that delivered in a compassionate and professional way.
- Cat Specialist Services is a new organisation moving into a new purpose built hospital late 2022. There will be changes to procedures, protocols and staffing levels and we will welcome all input.
Please either submit your CV and a covering letter to us at HR@vss.net.au, or contact Jennine Bennett (HR Administrator - phone 3841 7011) if you’d like any more information.
We’ve got the policies and support programs you’d expect from a larger practice. You can check out our website (catspecialists.com.au and vss.net.au) or let us know if you’d like to talk to one of our team members for some unbiased feedback on how things are in the clinic.
We recently asked our nurses what it was like to work at VSS - you can find what they say here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxgVZjgX8aU.